“The world doesn’t need any more cardboard cutout coaches.” - John Kim
In Their Words: Alumni Takeaways from Lumia’s Coach Training Program
When you enroll in coach training, you’re not just stepping into an educational experience. You’re joining a community. Because let’s face it–what happens in the classroom is just the start of your coaching adventure. It’s what you do with the concepts and tools you learn, and who you do it with, that makes all the difference.
Lumia’s community of incredible people sets us apart from every other coaching organization out there. Over the past decade, we’ve built a true network of change-makers who work together, play together, lift each other up, and cheer each other on through the ups and downs of life.
We’ve proudly graduated more than 2,500 coaches to date, with more joining their ranks every day. Recently, we surveyed our graduates to ask them about their takeaways from Lumia’s life coach training program. Here’s what they had to say.
93% of Lumia graduates are now better listeners
- “I give less advice, own more of what’s mine, and am more curious about others' experiences. I pause more now before reacting.”
- “Lumia's coach education program completely reshaped the way I listen and hold space for others. I am able to be gentle with myself and others and trust that the process will always bring us where we need to be, when we need to be there. That process is different for each individual, but Lumia provided me with such a strong foundation of knowledge and the research-backed tools with which to build my own personalized coaching business on that foundation.”
84% experienced an increase in self awareness
- “It has broadened my view of life and created a depth of relational self-awareness I never knew existed.”
- “The education helped me change career paths towards opportunities that are more meaningful and fulfilling. I see the value I bring to people's lives through their own transformations with their career, finances, and well-being.”
73% report an enhanced capacity to work with people who are different from themselves
- “I not only understand MYSELF better but I’m also so much more informed when INTERACTING with others.”
- “I’m more conscious and intentional about how I communicate, more curious, open-minded and accepting.”
63% have increased their inner peace
- “It has increased my mindfulness in daily life. Lumia helped me improve my intentionality about showing up as a loving and kind human being.”
- “Transformed me, my confidence, competence and capability from the bedroom to the boardroom. The new partnerships, relationships and opportunities are greater than I would have ever expected.”
87% of Lumia alumni would recommend Lumia as a coaching certification program
- “I signed 10 high ticket clients before graduating Essentials. I would not have had a business at all if it wasn't for Lumia.”
- “If I had not gone through the Lumia coaching experience I would still be waffling around trying to figure out what my strengths as a coach are and what niche I want to focus on. The work you must do to complete and graduate from the program forces you to dive deep not only into who you are as a person, but who you are and want to be as a coach.”
Want to become a life coach?
It starts with choosing the right accredited coach training program. At Lumia, we offer the full enchilada: industry-leading instructors, community, and business launch resources. We’re here to support your success, every step of the way.
This isn’t a life coaching program, it’s a life changing program.
If there’s one thing we know, it’s that together we’re a force to be reckoned with. From our private Facebook groups, to regular office hours with Lumia co-founders John Kim and Noelle Cordeaux, a vibrant network of support is always just a click away.
When we say Lumia grads get lifetime support, we mean it. Here’s what that looks like in practical terms.
Weekly Office Hours Q&A with John Kim: Office Hours is the place to bring your burning questions, or workshop coaching scenarios and business development questions with John. Participants are welcome to ask him about his areas of expertise in relationship and group coaching, holding retreats, creating a brand, building an audience, writing, publishing, podcasting… or anything else related to showing up as a coach!
Monthly Coaching Mastery with Noelle: During these sessions, Lumia CEO Noelle Cordeaux takes participants beyond the basics of coaching. You’ll gain valuable insight into the broader applications of coach training and a window into the wide world of coaching industry research and development. Every session will focus on a different vital subject related to coaching that will broaden your horizons and your understanding of what's possible as a coach.
ICF Signature Coaching Demo + Practice with Noelle: See ICF Core Competencies in action through live demonstration. These sessions are led by Noelle or an ICF Credentialed Instructor, and begin with an observed coaching session that demonstrates specific behavioral skills and markers. You will then have the chance to practice the highlighted competencies to gain experience and validation in your ICF coaching skills.
Coaches Cafe: Hosted by Coach Pam Davis, the Coaches Cafe is a regularly scheduled call to facilitate connection, community, and support for students and alumni. Topics vary from month to month, and each session includes time for checking in, sharing, receiving, and holding space.
In-Person Events: After graduation, you’ll continue to receive invitations to participate in Lumia’s full slate of networking, continuing education, and community building opportunities at events such as SXSW and our annual retreats.
Continuing Education: We’re constantly adding new workshops and offerings in response to student interests and needs, including hands-on support for building your coaching practice through programs that are available exclusively to Lumia students and alumni.
Yearly Business Summit: Annual retreat for students and alumni to help build your coaching business and give you the tools, inspiration and momentum you need to kick your coaching business into high gear. Past workshop topics have included:
- Business Building: Routines and Systems
- How to Find Clients
- Social Media for Coaches
- Group Coaching & Facilitation
- Writing a Book That Sells with John Kim
- How to Plan and Launch a Successful Podcast
- Legal, Contracts and Who Needs an LLC?
- Crafting Copy that Connects
- Handling Finances, Accounting and Your Money Mindset
- Making the Leap to Full-time Coach
- Creating Your Coaching Packages and Pricing
- Referrals & Building a Word of Mouth Business
- Creating Branding that Works
BIPOC Affinity Group: Lumia's Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Affinity Group exists to offer mutual support, share resources, and provide feedback and recommendations to Lumia. BIPOC Affinity group meetings are exclusive for people who identify as Black, Indigenousand/or People of Color.
LGBTQIIA+ Affinity Group: A space to celebrate the vibrant community of LGBTQA coaches at Lumia, and to create a network of mutual support and resource sharing needed for growth and development as coaches.
Alumni Online Portal: Stay connected with this online library of resources, event announcements, and job postings. The portal includes sections on: Graduation Perks, Starting Your Business & Getting Clients, Coaching Forms, Templates & Worksheets, ICF Resources: Coaching Ethics & Standards of Practice, Continuing Education, Calendar of Upcoming Events.
Coaching Job Postings: Benefit from coaching job opportunities vetted by Lumia, exclusively offered to our alumni.
Profile in Lumia’s online Coach Directory: All Lumia alumni get a profile page and inclusion in our grad directory, so you can send clients to a professional landing page, without having to build a whole site right away.
Summary of Alumni Benefits:
- Lumia Coach Badge
- Lumia Coach Directory Profile
- Facilitate Workshops at Lumia Events
- Publish Guests Posts on Lumia Blog
- Feature on Lumia Instagram Page
- Lumia Instagram Takeovers
- TAT Lab Opportunities
- Coaching, Networking, and Continuing Education at Lumia Events such as SXSW
- Yearly Retreats and Summits
- LIfetime access to student portal & training materials
- Opportunity to sit in on new classes as they are added to the coach training curriculum
Is Lumia Right For You?
One of our values at Lumia is that we dare to be different. Our life coaches ignore the expectations society tries to impose on them, and seek to live from their own truth instead. If you are ready to step into your power and you’d like a partner in the process, come check out Lumia Life Coach Training. Grounded in science, our ICF accredited program features authentic instructors, a robust curriculum, and business instruction to prepare you for liftoff.